Tuesday, January 25, 2011

How I found my best friend.

The difference between me and my elder sister is only 1.5 years. Our's was a joint family and my mom was always occupied with household chores and we were brought up more under the guidance of our grandma.Our family was an orthodox one and only because of my mother's persuasion we were admitted in an English medium school.

My grandma was a stereotype conformist and never encouraged us to take part in any kind of extra curricular activities saying that girls should be more homely and these things were not considered good in our society.

Both we sisters were poles apart. She was very enterprising, ambitious, daring and a rebel and I was very docile, submitting, placid and above all loved to be in the best book of my grandma.For me it was like earning laurels.We were told that while walking on the road we should only gaze on the ground and should not look all around. We should not talk to friends on road. We should not eat on the road side. From school we were not allowed to go to picnics or excursions and were even restricted from taking part in the elocution contest and my sis loved to do all these. I being the favourite of my grandma used to report all this and my grandma continued her quibbling over my sis. Due to this my sister hated me and we hardly used to converse with each other.

At the age of 16 my sister got engaged but I still continued to tattle about her and disgrace her in the family. Then one day my mother counselled me and explained me that I was wrong in my part to constantly put surveillance in my sister's life and by doing this I was making her life a hell and will loose my sister forever. I loved my sister a lot and I realised how I had made myself a constant pain for my sister whose only fault was to experience the world around. My sister acknowledged my changed behaviour and forgave me with an open heart. 

Today I am 29 years old and my sister is my best friend and a person I can count upon.She is always there to protect me in my thick and thin times. I thank my mom that she intervened in our relation and showed me the right path before I could have lost my sister forever in my life. I have also learnt not to keep partial attitudes towards our children this will only make them more offensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment